Enlarged Prostate and BPH Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Our board certified urologists specialize in evaluating men with symptoms of enlarged prostate. We also offer second and third opinion services for men with prostate and urinary problems. We care for men in NYC as well as visitors both from neighboring states and international patients.
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger has extensive experience having treated hundreds of men for symptoms of enlarged prostate and has personally performed hundreds of procedures and surgeries for treatment of enlarged prostate including TURP, Greenlight Laser, Urolift, Holmium laser, and other minimally invasive procedures as well as open and robotic surgery. He specializes in second opinion for men who had treatment for enlarged prostate but have not experienced expected results or developed complications of treatment.
What is BPH or Enlarged Prostate?
BPH refers to benign prostatic hypertrophy, a medical term that means enlarged prostate.
What Are the Causes of Enlarged Prostate / BPH?
Over time, under hormonal influence (from testosterone) the prostate increases in size. Prostate gland has volume of 15-20 ml in young men (20-30 years old). By the time men reach age 50, it is not uncommon for the prostate gland to grow to 40-60 grams. Some men appear to have genetic predisposition to enlarged prostate and can develop symptoms earlier in life in mid-to-late 30’s and 40’s.
Who Gets BPH or Enlarged Prostate?
Enlarged prostate usually occurs in men who are over 40-45 years old. It is fairly uncommon for men younger than 40 to experience symptoms of enlarged prostate. The symptoms are most common after age 50; as men age they are more likely to develop symptoms of enlarged prostate over time.
Many Men ask us “What do I need to worry about”?
As men approach age 40, the prostate starts to grow. This is a normal process and occurs in virtually every man.
As men approach age 50, they start to experience the symptoms of enlarged prostate or BPH. The symptoms of BPH or prostate enlargement are typically related to urination.
A good way to see whether you have symptoms that are typical of BPH is to fill out the AUA symptom score. It’s free. It takes less than 5 minutes to do. You can print it out and take it to your doctor appointment – Download it for Free from Us! You can do it online for free on our website: NewYorkUrologySpecialists.com – click under “Forms“. We offer treatment for enlarged prostate for men including medications and surgical treatment when necessary.
Symptoms of BPH and Enlarged Prostate
Read about the Symptoms of Enlarged Prostate. With modern treatment options there is no need to suffer from urinary problems caused by enlarged prostate.
What You Need to Know About BPH
- Symptoms of BPH can be successfully treated in every man.
- Symptoms tend to progress and worsen over time if not treated.
- If you are being treated for symptoms of enlarged prostate but do not experience improvement, you need to know that other treatment options are available when medications for BPH do not work.
- Some men require repeat minimally invasive or surgical procedure after the initial procedure.
- Symptoms of enlarged or swollen prostate can occur in young men.
Treatment Options for Enlarged Prostate
We offer innovative treatment options for BPH. Read and compare different treatment options for BPH offered at the New York Urology Specialists. Compare Greenlight Laser to Microwave and TUNA treatments: TUNA vs Microwave vs TURP vs Greenlight Laser: Compare Treatment Options for BPH and Enlarged Prostate
Urolift System for BPH is a New Treatment Option for Men with Enlarged Prostate New Minimally invasive treatment for BPH with fewest sexual side effects than other treatment options. by Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger, a board certified urologist and specialist in treatment of enlarged prostate is one of the first urological surgeons in the country to offer this treatment to men with symptoms of enlarged prostate.
Treatment Options Offered at New York Urology Specialists:
- Medical Evaluation, Diagnosis and Treatment of Enlarged Prostate and BPH
- Greenlight Laser
- Prostiva for BPH
- Prolieve procedure for BPH
- Bipolar TURP
- Laser Ablation of Prostate
- Laser Enucleation of Prostate
- Targis in-office procedure for BPH
- Urolift procedure for BPH
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Treatment of Enlarged Prostate (BPH) and Urinary Retention?
- All treatment is performed by a Board certified urologist experienced in treating men with symptoms of BPH using medical therapy, minimally invasive therapies, lasers and open surgery.
- We are one of the few practices in the region to offer full range of options for treatment of BPH.
- We offer BPH treatment options under local anesthesia which avoids the risks, costs and recovery from general anesthesia. Most men are able to return to office work and other normal activities the next day.
- Extensive Experience: Hundreds of men treated successfully using medical therapy, microwave procedure, TUNA, lasers for BPH (Holmium, Thulium, Evolve , Greenlight lasers), Bipolar TURP, traditional TURP, open suprapubic prostatectomy, robotic suprapubic prostatectomy for BPH.
- We treat men with BPH who have heart problems (hypertension, CAD, CHF), renal failure (ESRD) on hemodialysis, men on blood thinners such as aspirin, Lovenox, Coumadin (Warfarin), apixaban, rivaroxaban (Xarelto).
Would I Need to use Medications (Flomax, Uroxatral and Finasteride) after Urolift or Prostate Enucleation?
After your procedure for treatment of enlarged prostate is performed by the urological surgeons at New York Urology Specialists, we advise to continue using the medications as instructed. Typically we advise our patients to stop medications 1 month after treatment with Urolift, Greenlight laser, TURP, prostate enucleation and Rezum.
Medicare and major insurances accepted. Urologist.We offer affordable rates and financing options.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship trained board certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of urinary problems in men. He uses modern effective and proven treatment methods. He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in New York area.
He has successfully performed hundreds of prostate procedures in adults. Procedures are performed in the office under local anesthesia, in surgical center and affiliated hospitals under anesthesia.
When it comes to experience and innovation – New York Urology Specialists are a step ahead. Better Science Means Better Care. We specialize in minimally invasive highly effective treatment for symptoms of enlarged prostate and BPH. Many treatment procedures are performed in the convenience and privacy of office settings under local anesthesia.
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board certified urologist, who specializes in all aspects of care for sexual and reproductive health in men. He is one of the few urologists who performs no-scalpel, no-needle vasectomies. We see patients from all parts of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island, Westchester and New Jersey as well as other parts in the USA, Canada, South America and the Caribbean and other international patients. .
When you are faced with a prostate problem you need a highly trained and experienced urologist. Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger was trained at some of the top hospitals in the United States for Urology. He is fellowship trained and specializes in treating men with prostate problems including BPH, enlarged prostate>, urinary problems and prostate cancer.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.