Penile Implant: What You Need to Know
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board certified urologist, a surgeon who specializes in all aspects of care for sexual problems in men including ED. He performs penile implant surgery for men with erectile dysfunction.
What is a Penile Implant?
Penile implant is an effective treatment option for men with symptoms of erectile dysfunction. Penile implant or prosthesis can help men who have difficulty obtaining or maintaining erection as well as those who are unable to obtain erection at all. Penile prosthesis can also help men whose erections are not sufficiently hard enough for intercourse.
Penile implant is a surgical procedure that is performed as a same day procedure or may require 1-2 day overnight stay. Penile implant restores erectile function by replacing the non-functioning erection tissue in the penis with a penile prosthesis.
Is Penile Implant Visible? Can Someone Tell if I Have Penile Implant
Penile implant is placed under the skin of the penis. When the implant is not used it is not inflated and no one will know that you have it. It does not protrude from pants when deflated.
When penile implant is inflated before sex, the penis looks erect similar to a normal erection. Looking at the penis, one cannot tell if it is a natural erection or if the erection was achieved with a penile implant.
Who is a Good Candidate for Penile Implant?
Any man with erectile dysfunction that does not respond to medical treatment (medications such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra and Stendra do not work well) is a candidate for penile prosthesis insertion.
Men with erectile dysfunction after radical prostatectomy are also candidates for penile implant. Men with high blood pressure, obesity, low testosterone, heart problems, stroke and neurological problems are also candidates for penile prosthesis.
Who Performs Penile Implants?
Less than 10% of urologists routinely do penile implant surgery. At New York Urology Specialists, Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is an experienced urologist who is a specialist in penile implant surgery for men.
Does Penile Implant Affect Sensation and Orgasm?
Penile implant only ‘corrects’ the problem of getting an erection. It allows a man to get a hard erection that is sufficient for sexual intercourse. Penile prosthesis insertion does not affect sensation or orgasm. If a man has normal feeling and sensation in the penis before penis implant surgery, usually he will have the same sensation after penile prosthesis. Penile prosthesis will not give you sensation if you normally do not have it.
Penile prosthesis does not increase or decrease the ability of a man to have an orgasm.
Penile implant is an effective treatment option for men with erectile dysfunction.
Cost of penile implant surgery is usually covered by medical insurance.
Is Penile Implant the same as Penile Pump?
Usually, penile pump refers to a Vacuum Erection Device (VED) which is different from penile implant. Some patients refer to penile implant as a penile pump. It is important to understand that there are two types of treatment for ED that are very different: vacuum erection device and inflatable penile implant (prosthesis).
What are the Different Types of Penile Implants Available?
In the United States there are two companies that are FDA approved to make and sell penile implant: AMS and Coloplast. Both companies offer high-quality devices with good patient satisfaction.
There are 3 types of implants that are available:
- 3-piece inflatable penile prosthesis that consists of penile implants, pump and reservoir. This is considered the best available type of penile implant for most men.
- 2 piece inflatable penile prosthesis that consists of penile implant and a pump. Unlike 3-piece prosthesis it does not have a reservoir.
- Malleable (Semi-Rigid or “Concealable”) penile implant: is a non-inflatable prosthesis that is very simple to use. Malleable implants such as AMS Spectra and Coloplast Genesis is a good option for men who desire simplicity and ease of use. In particular, semi-rigid penis implant is the preferred option for men with diminished ability to perform fine motor movements with their hands.
We use AMS 700™ Inflatable 3-piece Penile Prosthesis for many patients. AMS Ambicor Inflatable Penile Prosthesis is a 2 piece inflatable penile implant without reservoir. Spectra Concealable Penile Prosthesis is a malleable (semi-rigid) penile implant.
Coloplast penile prostheses include: Titan Touch inflatable penile prosthesis and Genesis Malleable penile prosthesis.
Learn More About:
- ED Treatment without Medications – Shockwave Therapy for ED Appears Promising
- ED Treatment: PDE5 inhibitors – Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, Stendra
- Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction with MUSE (intraurethral alprostadil)
- Vacuum Erection Device Therapy (VED Pump) for Erectile Dysfunction in NYC
What You Need to Know:
- Cost of Penile Prosthesis – New York City
- Insurance Coverage of Penile Implant by Blue Cross Plans – New York
- Medicare Coverage of Penile Implant surgery for Impotence in New York City
- Penile Prosthesis Implantation after Radical Prostatectomy for Prostate Cancer
- Penile Implant Picture Gallery – NYC – New York Urology Specialists