Vacuum Erection Device for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
What is a Vacuum Erection Device (VED or “Penis Pump”)
Vacuum erection device is a bottle-like cone that goes over the penis. When vacuum is created inside this chamber, the penis inside the chamber experiences negative pressure which results in blood flowing into the penis. Blood flowing into the penis normally results in an erection. Once the penis is erect, a rubber band is rolled off the vacuum pump onto the base of the penis. This “captures” the blood in the penis and prevents erection from going away.
Once a man is done having sex, the rubber band is removed which leads to loss of the erection. It is advised not to keep the rubber band more than 30 minutes at a time to prevent ‘penile strangulation”.
When is Vacuum Erection Device Useful?
Vacuum erection device (VED) is used for the treatment of men with vascular erectile dysfunction. It also works for many men with ‘venous leak’ or veno-occlusive insufficiency. VED can help men get and maintain erections that are hard enough for sex.
How Effective is Penile Pump (VED) in Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
Vacuum erection device is effective in as many as 60% of men.
How Satisfied are Men with Vacuum Pump?
Around 30% of men who try vacuum erection pump find that it works well for them and like it. Other men find it cumbersome to use and prefer other treatment options such as a penile implant or penile injections. Most men who try vacuum erections devices have tried Viagra or Cialis previously and moved to VED because medications did not work for them
What are the Benefits of the Penis Pump (Vacuum Erection Device)?
Because it is a mechanical device, there is no effect on the rest of the body and no significant side effects other than possible bruising and pain in the penis.
VEDs tend to last a long time and are less expensive in the long run than medications. The only recurrent cost is the cost of the lubricant and occasionally, the rubber bands and batteries need to be changed. Heavy users of the penis pump, can easily go through a pack of batteries a month.
2 Types of Vacuum Erection Devices:
- Manual Vacuum Pump – vacuum is created by pumping out air from the penis; simple and works well; consists of two parts the penile pump and the pump for sucking the air out of the penile pump.
- Electric “Battery Operated” Vacuum Pump. This marvel of technology consists of one part the penile pump that has a powerful suction unit attached to it, which is battery operated. It works well and more convenient to use.
What are the Options for Treating Erectile Dysfunction if Vacuum Pump does Not Work?
If a penile vacuum pump does not create a sufficiently hard erection for intercourse, other effective treatment options are available.
If you have not tried medications such as Cialis (tadalafil), Viagra (sildenafil) and Levitra, they may work for you.
Learn More About:
- Intracorporeal Injection Therapy (ICI) with Trimix
- Treatment of Obesity-Related ED (Erectile Dysfunction) in Men
- Medicare Coverage of Penile Implant surgery for Impotence in New York City
What You Need to Know:
- What’s better: Cialis, Viagra, Stendra, and Levitra? – New York Urology Specialists
- Why Experience Matters in Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
- Erectile Dysfunction in Young Men – Specialized Treatment of ED in NYC
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board-certified urologist, who specializes in all aspects of care for sexual problems in men including ED, premature ejaculation and other sexual concerns. He has successfully treated hundreds of men with sexual problems including ED and poor libido.
ED is Treatable in Nearly Every Man
At New York Urology Specialists, our urologists are specially trained in the evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. We understand the challenges that ED creates for our patients, their relationships and their self-esteem. We help you find a treatment for erectile dysfunction that fits your needs, your lifestyle and your preferences.
Urologists are doctors specializing in the treatment of men with erectile dysfunction. By the virtue of our experience and skill, we are able to offer an effective treatment option for nearly every man who desires an effective treatment for ED. We offer medical and surgical treatment for erectile dysfunction.
We treat some of the most complex ED problems including:
- erectile dysfunction in men with prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy
- ED in men with multiple sclerosis
- impotence in men with diabetes.
- Priapism in men and other emergency penis problems.
- Erectile dysfunction in men with Peyronie’s disease
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
- Erection problems in men with low testosterone.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of urological problems in men and women using modern effective and proven treatment methods. He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.