Interstim for Treatment of Overactive Bladder and Neurogenic Bladder Symptoms in NYC
What Does Interstim Treat?
Interstim is a sacral nerve neuromodulation system. Instertim is a treatment for men and women with symptoms of urinary urgency, frequent urination and urinary incontinence. These symptoms are commonly called “OAB” which stands for overactive bladder. Interstim is also useful for treatment of urinary symptoms in patients with neurogenic bladder.
The Interstim Neuromodulation System Solution
Overactive bladder, a troublesome condition comprising of urinary incontinence, urgency and frequent bathroom trips per day, affects millions of Americans. But, by reading through the information below and familiarizing yourself with the Interstim neuromodulation system procedure, you do not have to be one of them.
What is Interstim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulation?
Interstim is a small device that is surgically placed under the skin at the buttock region. It sends out an electrical signal to sacral S2-S3 nerves that control the bladder function. The goal of Interstim is to retrain bladder nerves to behave normally. Essentially, you can think of Interstim as the pacemaker for the bladder. Interstim helps control the symptoms of OAB. The frequency of nerve stimulation can be controlled and individualized to the needs of each patient.
Interstim can be set to fire continuously or in a cyclical fashion. Studies show that there is no difference in the effectiveness of the device or in patient satisfaction when either method is used.
Interstim consists of 3 parts:
- A wire that transmits signals to the S2-S3 sacral nerves that control bladder function. This wire is implanted completely under the skin.
- A battery that provides power to the device, typically placed under the skin in the buttock region.
- A remote control that allows the user to reprogram and adjust the Interstim device according to the individualized needs of each patient.
Who is a Good Candidate for Interstim
- Patients who have tried oral medications and did not experience sufficient benefit or cannot tolerate the side effects of oral medications (Oxybutynin, Detrol, Ditropan, Vesicare, Detrol, Myrbetriq)
- Patients who have tried Tibial Neuromodulation (UrgentPC) and did not experience sufficient benefit from it
- Patients who have tried Botox for OAB and did not experience sufficient benefit or experienced side effects that they did not tolerate well.
What Are The Advantages Of Interstim?
The biggest benefits of Interstim are:
- Effectiveness – Interstim can be used in the treatment of urinary frequency, urgency and urge in patients who do not benefit from other treatment options such medications (oxybutynin, Detrol, Ditropan, Toviaz, Myrbetriq, Vesicare) tibial neuromodulation or Botox.
- Convenience and reversibility – Interstim is considered to be a permanent treatment and patients do not require daily medications or repeat treatment. The battery lasts for 5 years and may only need to be replaced then.
- Patient Control – The device affords more control to the patient as a remote is supplied that allows them to stop and start the treatment as needed. Whether you are a suitable candidate for the procedure will need to be discussed further with one of our trained surgeons at New York Urology Specialists.
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board certified urologist in NYC who specializes in treating men and women with urinary problems including frequent urination, difficulty emptying the bladder, urinary urgency and incontinence.