Treatment of Men with Ventral Curvature of the Penis Caused by Peyronie’s Disease
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board-certified urologist in NYC who specializes in treating men with Peyronie’s disease.
Ventral Penile Curvature (Curve Down)
VA ventral curvature of the penis affects approximately 10-20% of men with Peyronie’s disease; 80-90% of men are affected by dorsal penile curvature.
“Ventral curvature” causes the penis to point or curve down.
Ventral curvature tends to cause more sexual dysfunction than dorsal curvature due to anatomical difficulty with sex.
Because ventral curvature is often caused by plaque or scar formation in close proximity to the urethra, some treatment options may not be used for the treatment of ventral curvature due to concern about urethral side effects.
Ventral Penile Curvature: Treatment Options
Many but not all men with a ventral curvature of the penis have a lump called “Peyronie’s plaque” that can be felt in the penis.
If Peyronie’s plaque is present, intralesional plaque injections can be used to treat ventral penile curvature caused by Peyronie’s disease. Verapamil injections, as well as interferon injections, can be used for treating ventral Peyronie’s plaque. Xiaflex has not been approved for treating ventral Peyronie’s plaques. Studies show that Xiaflex appears to be a safe option for the treatment of ventral curvature.
Evaluation of Patients with Penile Curvature
At New York Urology Specialists, we perform an artificial penile erection with Trimix or alprostadil to get an accurate measurement of the penile curvature. Many patients with moderate to severe curvature are advised penile traction therapy in combination with penile injections (verapamil, interferon, Xiaflex). Patients with severe curvature, those who do not benefit from penile injections or interested in a quick resolution of their problems may consider surgical treatment with penile plication, plaque excision and grafting, or penile implant.
Treatment Options for Ventral Penile Curvature Include:
- Oral therapy
- Intra-lesional plaque injections (verapamil, interferon)
- Penile traction therapy
- Penile plication (16 dot plication or Nesbit plication)
- Plaque incision/excision with grafting
- Penile implant
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease?
- All treatment is performed by a board-certified urologist experienced in treating men with symptoms of Peyronie’s disease including penile curvature, narrowing of the penis, shortening of the penis, pain in the penis, and ED.
- We are one of the few practices in the region to offer a full range of options for treatment of Peyronie’s disease, sexual and erection problems in men.
- We offer diagnostic testing in our office which avoids hospital costs.
- Extensive Experience: Thousands of men have treated successfully using medical therapy (Xiaflex, Verapamil injections, Interferon), shockwave therapy for penile pain, penile plication, plaque excision and grafting, and penile implant surgery.
- Confidential and Understanding Care. We understand that most of our patients desire privacy. We see patients with a variety of urological problems. Your reason for visiting us is entirely confidential.
Scheduling Appointments for Peyronie’s Treatment at New York Urology Specialists
We have excellent reviews from patients and their partners.
Peyronies Disease and ED Are Treatable in Nearly Every Man
At New York Urology Specialists, our urologists are specially trained in the evaluation and treatment of Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction. We understand the challenges that Peyronie’s disease and ED create for our patients, their relationships and their self-esteem. We help you find a treatment for Peyronie’s disease that fits your needs, your lifestyle and your preferences.
Urologists are doctors specializing in the treatment of men with sexual problems including Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction. By the virtue of our experience and skill, we are able to offer an effective treatment option for nearly every man who desires an effective treatment for ED. We offer medical and surgical treatment for Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction.
We Treat Some of the Most Complex ED Problems Including:
- Hourglass narrowing of the penis
- Shortening of the penis and loss of penile length
- Penis curvature with worsening erections
- Peyronies disease in men with diabetes and weak erections in men with diabetes.
- Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction in men with prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy
- Erectile dysfunction in men with Peyronie’s disease
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship-trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of sexual and erection problems in men using modern effective and proven treatment methods. We offer inflatable penile implant, shockwave therapy for ED and treatment for Peyronie’s disease.
He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.