Provenge (sipuleucel-T) in Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board-certified urologist in NYC who specializes in treating men for prostate cancer.
Provenge: Harnessing the Natural Immunity to Fight Prostate Cancer.
Provenge is the first treatment for prostate cancer that harnesses the patient’s immune system to fight off prostate cancer. While Provenge is not the first immunotherapy it is perhaps one of the few cancer specific immunotherapies that have been developed. It is the first immunotherapy for prostate cancer that has shown a clinical benefit.
Studies have shown that the benefit of Provenge takes time as would be expected with any immune modulator. The maximum benefit appears to be in men who live at least 3 years. This naturally provides an opportunity to use Provenge in the early stages of prostate cancer perhaps to cure patients with localized disease. This is one of the few treatments for prostate cancer that has been shown to lead to an overall survival benefit.
The future use of Provenge, as well as other immune system modulators, is in combination with other treatments such as radical prostatectomy, radiation therapy, Xtandi, and Zytiga to induce a greater response and improved overall survival.
Provenge (sipuleucel-T Dandreon) Treatment Protocol
– IV treatments but 23% required a central line for infusion.
– Draw blood 3 days prior then Administer weeks 1, 3 and 5. Three infusions in total.
– Eligible patients were hormone refractory and had metastatic disease in the soft tissue and/or bone with evidence of progression; 18% had received prior chemotherapy (including docetaxel).
– PROVENGE is administered in three 1-hour infusions, each preceded by a standard leukapheresis procedure
– Requires radiological evidence of metastatic disease.
– No significant side effects; all patients complete treatment. Good safety profile
– Maximum benefit at 3 years: Selection of patients most likely to respond – ie earlier in the disease.
Current Studies of Provenge:
ClinicalTrials.org: sipuleucel-T: plus RT for solitary mets hRPC. vs ADT in non-metastatic disease timing before or together; plus abiraterone timing before vs concurrent; for PSA recurrence; booster dosing;
– Plus RT for multiple radiation sites: to provide antigen presentation and immune stimulation
We see patients from all parts of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island, Westchester and New Jersey as well as other parts of the USA. We also see international patients from Canada, Japan, South America, Russia, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa, the Caribbean and other parts of the world.