OAB – Overactive Bladder Treatment Options in NYC for Men and Women
What is OAB (Overactive Bladder)?
Overactive bladder (OAB) refers to symptoms of urinary urgency, characterized by a sudden compelling desire to void that is difficult to postpone. A patient may also experience frequent urination and urinary incontinence.
Overactive bladder is only diagnosed after other causes such as UTI, and depending on risk factors bladder cancer are excluded.
How Common is OAB?
OAB is very common, 11-16% of all men and women experience symptoms of overactive bladder. Symptoms of urge urinary incontinence are more common in women than in men. Urinary incontinence is more common in women over age 65 with OAB than in younger women or men.
What Causes OAB?
There are many causes of overactive bladder. Symptoms of overactive bladder occur when there is an abnormal increase in sensitivity of the bladder or decreased ability of the bladder to store urine. OAB can also be caused by abnormal sudden, involuntary contraction of the detrusor muscle in the wall of the bladder, which in turn causes you to void. The muscle seems to be “twitchy”, and it’s this hyper-reactivity of detrusor muscle in the bladder wall that causes you to feel you need to pee frequently and urgently even when the bladder is not full.
But life doesn’t have to be this way! Doctors at the New York Urology Specialists are here to help you change that.
Fortunately, there are many treatments, and one of them is with Botox for overactive bladder.
How Effective are the Treatments for OAB?
Effective treatment options available for the treatment of overactive bladder symptoms. While no treatment is 100% effective, different treatment options were different patients. Sometimes a combination approach is necessary to get the problems under control.
Treatment Options for OAB offered at New York Urology Specialists:
We offer the most advanced treatment options for overactive bladder. Our experienced urologists have treated hundreds of men and women with overactive bladder.
- Medications: anticholinergic medications (Detrol, Vesicare, oxybutynin, B3 adrenergic agonists
- Neuromodulation: Tibial nerve neuromodulation, Femoral nerve neuromodulation, Sacral nerve neuromodulation
- Botox injections in the bladder detrusor muscle
- Behavioral therapy: Timed voiding, bladder re-training, biofeedback.
Who does Overactive Bladder Affect?
Men and women of all ages can experience symptoms of OAB. Overactive bladder is rare in children. As many as 20% of people over the age of 35 have symptoms of the overactive bladder at some point in their life. Around 63% of people with overactive bladder just have urgency and frequency. The other 37% have wetting accidents (urge incontinence) as well as urgency and, frequency.
- Urinary urgency occurs when the muscles in the wall of the bladder contract, suddenly and without volition. This makes you feel the need to urinate urgently – even if your bladder only contains a small amount of urine. It may also result from increased sensitivity of bladder nerves to urine in the bladder.
- Urine leakage results when you are unable to stop the urge to urinate – it may simply show as a staining on your underwear or be a large amount of urine. Bladder control caused by urge urinary incontinence is a common problem in patients with OAB. Many men and women wear pads or protective underwear to avoid the embarrassment.
Stress incontinence is when your urine leaks out on straining, sneezing or laughing. It is not uncommon after childbirth and in postmenopausal women. This is not the same as OAB – and the treatments are different. The two conditions (urge urinary incontinence and stress urinary incontinence) may often co-exist.
The Bottom Line on Overactive Bladder
Overactive bladder is a common and unpleasant condition which affects many aspects of daily life. Effective treatment options are available from behavior therapy and oral medications to neuromodulation and Botox.
There is no reason why anyone should suffer from symptoms of an untreated overactive bladder. Botox is a safe and effective treatment for overactive bladder, improving the symptoms of frequency, urgency and urge incontinence. If treatment with oral drugs is unsatisfactory, then Botox should be considered. For a small number of patients for whom Botox does not work, tibial nerve neuromodulation and sacral nerve neuromodulation offer effective treatment alternatives.
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board-certified urologist in NYC who specializes in treating men and women with urinary problems including frequent urination, difficulty emptying the bladder, urinary urgency and incontinence.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care. We offer weekday, weekend, and evening office hours.