Frequently Asked Questions about Circumcision.
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board-certified urologist in NYC who has performed hundreds of adult circumcision, circumcision revision, and frenulectomy procedures. He does adult male circumcisions for cosmetic as well as medical reasons.
How long does it take to perform a circumcision?
Adult circumcision takes anywhere from half an hour to 1 hour to perform. The total procedure time may be longer if performed under general or regional anesthesia. It may take longer if there is phimosis, adhesions, difficult anatomy or if there is a need to revise a prior circumcision.
Where do you Perform Circumcisions?
Circumcision can be performed in the office settings under local anesthesia. More than 90% of our patients choose to have circumcision under local anesthesia. For men who prefer not to be awake or do not want to experience any (minor) pain and discomfort, circumcision can be performed in the hospital settings or at an outpatient surgery center.
Circumcision is an outpatient procedure. You can expect to go home the same day. There is no hospital stay after circumcision. If you receive general anesthesia you may not drive or make any intelligent decisions in the next 24 hours.
Who can Perform a Circumcision?
Urologists are specially trained in the care of the male penis. Urologists at New York Urology Specialists are experienced in performing adult circumcision. Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger has performed well over 100 circumcisions and is one of the busiest urologists who perform adult circumcisions in the New York area. Some general surgeons and family physicians perform circumcisions. Newborn circumcision is often performed by obstetricians, pediatricians or urologists. In the Jewish community, ritual circumcision is performed by religious experts in circumcision called “Mohels”.
Should I Expect Pain after Circumcision?
Circumcision is a surgical procedure. You can expect some pain and discomfort after the procedure.
Our goal at New York Urology Specialists is to ensure that your have minimal pain and discomfort after circumcision. Many of our patients have no or minimal pain after circumcision. Many do not take any pain medications after circumcision.
What is a Dorsal Slit Procedure?
A dorsal slit is an incision in the foreskin. It is usually performed for men with phimosis in emergency situations. It can be a temporizing procedure until a circumcision is performed or it can be the definitive treatment if the patient is not interested in aesthetic appearance. Because we are able to perform circumcision under local anesthesia, there is little benefit of having a dorsal slit procedure for most men. Dorsal slit procedure does not remove frenulum and will not treat frenulum breve if it’s present.
What is a Partial Circumcision?
Partial circumcision refers to a circumcision that removes a minimal amount of foreskin. While we can perform a partial circumcision for patients who desire it for whatever the reason is, there is no advantage or benefit of partial circumcision over complete circumcision. Certainly, for men who elect to have a “‘partial circumcision,” there is a possibility that they may need to have a completion or redo circumcision. We do not advise partial circumcision to our patients.
Does Circumcision Change the Feeling or Sensation in the Penis during Sex?
Well designed studies of men who underwent circumcision as adults showed that less than 5% of men report any change in sensation after circumcision.
Does Circumcision Affect Erections? Can it Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
Circumcision removes the foreskin. The foreskin is not involved in producing erections. Practically, there is no risk that a circumcision will cause erectile dysfunction or problems with erections if performed by a trained urologist. Many adult men who choose to be circumcised experience improved confidence after circumcision.
Who should not have a circumcision?
Boys and men with abnormal penile anatomy should not have a circumcision prior to evaluation by a urologist. In particular, boys with hypospadias and chordee should be evaluated by a urologist prior to a decision whether to have a circumcision.
What You Need to Know:
- Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans (BXO) or Lichen Sclerosus of the Penis
- Cosmetic Circumcision in New York City
- Reasons Our Patients Have Adult Circumcision
- Vasectomy and Circumcision Performed Together at New York Urology Specialists
Learn More About:
- Before and After Circumcision: What to Expect
- Circumcision in Diabetic Men in NYC
- Myths Associated with Circumcision
- Pain in the Penis During Sex
- Phimosis and Paraphimosis: Circumcision Specialists in NYC
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Circumcision and Treatment of Penile Problems?
- All treatment is performed by a board-certified urologist experienced in cosmetic circumcision, circumcision revision, and penile frenuloplasty. We treat men with phimosis, balanitis, BXO, penile skin bridges and other penile problems such as symptoms of pain, irritation, and cuts on the penis, foreskin problems, and genital warts.
- We are one of the few practices in the region to offer a full range of options for treatment of sexual and erection problems in men.
- We offer diagnostic testing in our office which avoids hospital costs.
- Extensive Experience: Thousands of men have treated successfully using medical therapy, surgery including circumcision, circumcision revision, penile frenuloplasty, ShangRing Circumcision, as well as complex penile surgery including penile plication for Peyronie’s disease, and penile implant surgery for ED. We perform over 100 adult circumcisions each year. There are very few board-certified urologists who perform as many.
- Safety – We are one of the very few practices that offer circumcision under local anesthesia with same-day consultation and circumcision option. The safety of local anesthesia is unparalleled.
- Confidential and Understanding Care. We understand that most of our patients desire privacy. We see patients with a variety of urological problems. Your reason for visiting us is entirely confidential.
Scheduling Appointments for Circumcision at New York Urology Specialists
We have excellent reviews from patients and their partners.
Circumcision With Fast Recovery at New York Urology Specialists
At New York Urology Specialists, our urologists are specially trained in the evaluation and treatment of sexual problems in men. We understand the challenges that penile problems such as pain in the penis, cuts on the foreskin, irritation, and curvature create for our patients, their relationships and their self-esteem. We help you find a treatment for penile problems including appearance concerns, foreskin problems, premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction that fits your needs, your lifestyle and your preferences.
Urologists are doctors specializing in the treatment of men with sexual problems that include penis problems, scrotal problems, and erectile dysfunction. By the virtue of our experience and skill, we are able to offer an effective treatment option for nearly every man who desires an effective treatment for any problem that affects the penis. We offer medical and surgical treatment for men’s sexual problems.
We Treat Some of the Most Complex Penis and Foreskin Problems Including:
- The foreskin that cannot be pulled back
- Turtle-neck penis “peno-scrotal web“
- Penile skin adhesions
- Circumcision Revision
- Penile Skin Bridges
- ShangRing Circumcision
- Phimosis Treatment
- Frenulum Breve Treatment in Men
- Penile Pain During Sex
- Impotence in men with diabetes.
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
- Loose circumcision vs tight circumcision
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship-trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of sexual and erection problems in men using modern effective and proven treatment methods. We offer circumcision, circumcision revision, penile frenuloplasty, penoscrotal web repair, testicular implants, inflatable penile implant, shockwave therapy for ED, and treatment for Peyronie’s disease.
He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.