Loss of Libido and Low Sex Drive: Causes and Treatment
What is Libido?
Libido is defined as the overall sexual drive of a person. In men, sexual drive or sexual interest can become low. The causes of low libido or low sex drive are complex.
What Causes Sexual Interest in Men?
Men are driven by many factors. Testosterone levels are important for the maintenance of high sex drive, so are the levels of thyroid hormone. High levels of prolactin hormone can depress both testosterone levels and sex drive.
These causes of low sex drive are diagnosed and treated by our specialists at New York Urology Specialists.
Visual stimuli such as erotic images and sexual thoughts can increase sexual drive (libido) in men. Sexual touch can also lead to sexual arousal in men.
Most Common Causes for Low Sex Drive
There are many causes of low sex drive. Some of the causes are environmental and are some are caused by underlying medical problems.
Lack of sexual attraction can lead to low sex drive with a particular partner. High levels of stress, lack of adequate rest and sleep and fatigue can lead to many health problems including loss of sexual interest, low sex drive and difficulty with getting erections.
Signs and Symptoms of Libido Loss (low libido)
The most common symptom associated with low libido is the loss of interest in sex or intimacy. The interval between intercourse prolongs, and when the intercourse occurs, the person is unable to perform the act leaving the partner unsatisfied. Related symptoms include depression, anxiety, and fatigue.
A related group of signs is normally used to diagnose low libido. These include
- Does touching take place only in the bedroom?
- You don’t feel like opening up and sharing during sex
- You are not the initiator and you feel a lot of pressure.
- You try to avoid sex.
- Sex has lost its charm and has become routine.
- You almost never have sexual thoughts or fantasies about your sexual partner or other partners.
- You have sex infrequently
The response to these questions is “True/False”. If 4/7 questions are answered true, it suggests that the patient may suffer from low libido.
Medical Problems that Can Lead to Low Sex Drive (Low Libido):
Environmental Factors That Can Affect Sexual Drive:
- Lack of privacy
- Stress and Distraction
- Dislike of partner
Social Factors That May Affect Sexual Interest:
- The difference of social class
- Low self-esteem
- Hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone levels)
- Decreased levels of testosterone in males or abnormal estrogen levels
- Decreased levels of testosterone and estrogen in females
- Pituitary abnormality
- Drug abuse
- Anabolic SteroidsHypogondism (low testosterone levels)
- Prescription Drugs
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors
- Oral Contraceptive Pills
- Tricyclic and other classes of antidepressants
- Anti Psychotics
- Beta Blockers
Treatment of Libido Loss
The treatment of low libido focuses on identifying the underlying condition. Most cases of low libido are psychological and can be easily treated. The physiological causes are treatable as well.
Low testosterone levels and abnormal thyroid function are easily treatable causes of low sex drive in men and women.
Social and environmental causes of low sex drive can often be addressed by the patient when recognized or with a therapist.
Most, but not all, cases of low libido are psychological and counseling has proven to be very helpful. When necessary treatment of depression or couple therapy are helpful as well.
When you feel that you are losing interest in sex and your partner complains about this too, it’s time to get evaluated before it’s too late.
What You Need to Know:
We Treat Some of the Most Complex ED Problems Including:
- Erectile dysfunction in men with prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy
- Impotence in men with diabetes.
- Erectile dysfunction in men with Peyronie’s disease
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
- Erection problems in men with low testosterone.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship-trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of sexual and erection problems in men using modern effective and proven treatment methods. We offer inflatable penile implant, shockwave therapy for ED and treatment for Peyronie’s disease.
He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.