What You Need to Know about Using Injectable Medications for Erectile Dysfunction (Trimix, Bimix, PGE or Prostaglandin, Caverject, Edex)
There are a few issues to consider in terms of logistics / timing related to using injectable medications for treatment of erectile dysfunction (when we mention Trimix it applies to other medications as well (Bimix, Quadmix, PGE and other combinations):
- Trimix needs to be frozen or refrigerated – if you travel you will need to carry it in an icepack. More expensive preparations are available that may not need refrigeration.
- Trimix has a ‘shelf-life’. The pharmacy we use prepares Trimix that can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- You need to have a consultation and full evaluation for ED, including lab work. If you have recent labs (past 2-3 months), we can accept them (cholesterol, kidney function testing – creatinine or CMP, thyroid hormone levels, testosterone levels).
- We can’t simply prescribe you Trimix or any other injectable medications. We need first to inject you with a test dose that will then be increased/decreased “titrated” until we find out the correct dosing. Sometimes it takes a few injections which must be separated by at least 2 days. The goal is to obtain an erection that does not last longer than 1 hour. Once we determine the dose you require we need to order Trimix which can take about a week to be prepared/shipped to us.
- Typically, custom compounded medications (Trimix, Bimix, etc) are not covered by insurance.
- Prostaglandin can be obtained that does not require refrigeration but it is fairly costly (Caverject, Edex). The advantage is that it is covered by insurances for some men depending on insurance plan. Less expensive prostaglandin is available which has the same potency but requires refrigeration and is not covered by insurance.
Learn More About:
- Penile Implant
- How do Erections Occur? What Causes ED in Men?
- How is ED Diagnosed? – New York Urology Specialists
What You Need to Know:
- Prevention is the Best Treatment for ED (Erectile Dysfunction)
- Priapism Specialists – Treatment of Prolonged Erections
- Second Opinion Urologist for ED in NYC
- Top 5 Causes of ED
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board certified urologist, who specializes in all aspects of care for sexual problems in men including ED, premature ejaculation and other sexual concerns. He has successfully treated hundreds of men with sexual problems including ED and poor libido. We see patients from all parts of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island, Westchester and New Jersey as well as other parts in the USA, Canada, South America and the Caribbean and other international patients. We also offer emergency care for men with urological problems.