Vacuum Erection Device for Treatment of Impotence in NYC
What is a Vacuum Erection Device (VED or “Penis Pump”)
Vacuum erection device is a bottle-like cone that goes over the penis. When a vacuum is created inside this chamber, the penis inside the chamber experiences negative pressure which results in blood flowing into the penis. Blood flowing into the penis normally results in an erection. Once the penis is erect, a rubber band is rolled off the vacuum pump onto the base of the penis. This “captures” the blood in the penis and prevents the erection from going away.
Once a man is done having sex, the rubber band is removed which leads to loss of the erection. It is advised not to keep the rubber band more than 30 minutes at a time to prevent ‘penile strangulation”.
When is Vacuum Erection Device Useful?
Vacuum erection device (VED) is used for the treatment of men with vascular erectile dysfunction. It also works for many men with ‘venous leak’ or veno-occlusive insufficiency. VED can help men get and maintain erections that are hard enough for sex.
How Effective is Penile Pump (VED) in Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
Vacuum erection device is effective in as many as 60% of men. However, for men for whom Cialis and Viagra do not work, the erections generated with a vacuum device are typically not as good as can be induced with medications such as Trimix and with a penile implant.
How Satisfied are Men with Vacuum Pump?
Only around 30% of men who try vacuum erection pump find that it works well for them and like it. While it may work for other men, often erections produced with vacuum erection devices are not very hard. A significant number of men experience pain with the use of vacuum erection devices.
Many men find it cumbersome to use and prefer other treatment options such as a penile implant or penile injections. Most men who try vacuum erections devices have tried Viagra or Cialis previously and moved to VED because medications did not work for them
What are the Benefits of the Penis Pump (Vacuum Erection Device)?
Because it is a mechanical device, there is no effect on the rest of the body and no significant side effects other than possible bruising and pain in the penis.
VEDs tend to last a long time and are less expensive in the long run than medications. The only recurrent cost is the cost of the lubricant and occasionally, the rubber bands and batteries need to be changed. Heavy users of the penis pump, can easily go through a pack of batteries a month.
2 Types of Vacuum Erection Devices:
- Manual Vacuum Pump – the vacuum is created by pumping out air from the penis; simple and works well; consists of two parts the penile pump and the pump for sucking the air out of the penile pump.
- Electric “Battery Operated” Vacuum Pump. This marvel of technology consists of one part the penile pump that has a powerful suction unit attached to it, which is battery operated. While theoretically, an electric device sounds exciting, many devices do not generate adequate vacuum or do not allow precise control. Many men are well served with a good manual vacuum pump.
What are the Options for Treating Erectile Dysfunction if Vacuum Pump does Not Work?
If a penile vacuum pump does not create a sufficiently hard erection for intercourse, other effective treatment options are available.
If you have not tried medications such as Cialis (tadalafil), Viagra (sildenafil) and Levitra, they may work for you.
If the penile pump and Cialis or Viagra do not work, penile injections and penile implant are excellent treatment options for men with ED. Both penile injections with Trimix and penile implant tend to produce rigid erections.
Learn More About:
- Intracorporeal Injection Therapy (ICI) with Trimix
- Treatment of Obesity-Related ED (Erectile Dysfunction) in Men
- Medicare Coverage of Penile Implant surgery for Impotence in New York City
What You Need to Know:
- What’s better: Cialis, Viagra, Stendra, and Levitra? – New York Urology Specialists
- Why Experience Matters in Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
- Erectile Dysfunction in Young Men – Specialized Treatment of ED in NYC
Scheduling Appointments for ED Treatment at New York Urology Specialists
We have excellent reviews from patients and their partners.
ED is Treatable in Nearly Every Man
At New York Urology Specialists, our urologists are specially trained in the evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. We understand the challenges that ED creates for our patients, their relationships and their self-esteem. We help you find a treatment for erectile dysfunction that fits your needs, your lifestyle and your preferences.
Urologists are doctors specializing in the treatment of men with erectile dysfunction. By the virtue of our experience and skill, we are able to offer an effective treatment option for nearly every man who desires an effective treatment for ED. We offer medical and surgical treatment for erectile dysfunction.
We Treat Some of the Most Complex ED Problems Including:
- Erectile dysfunction in men with prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy
- Impotence in men with diabetes.
- Erectile dysfunction in men with Peyronie’s disease
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
- Erection problems in men with low testosterone.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship-trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of sexual and erection problems in men using modern effective and proven treatment methods. We offer inflatable penile implant, shockwave therapy for ED and treatment for Peyronie’s disease.
He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.