Penile Intralesional Plaque Injection Therapy for Peyronie’s Disease
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a board-certified urologist in NYC who specializes in treating men with Peyronie’s disease.
Penile Injections for Peyronie’s Disease
Penile injection therapy refers to the direct injection of medications into the scar tissue or “penile plaque“.
It is important to understand that only patients who have a palpable nodule or lump in the penis can be treated with intralesional injections. Urologist must be able to feel the lump “Peyronie’s plaque” in order to inject medications in it.
No Palpable Lump = No Injections
Patients who have symptoms of Peyronie’s disease such as bent penis, pain, and narrowing but do not have a lump that can be felt during a physical exam are not candidates for penile injections. If the symptoms are recent, some patients subsequently will develop a palpable Peyronie’s plaque and may become candidates for injections. Patients without a palpable Peyronie’s plaque can be treated with penile traction therapy, penile plication, and penile implant. Men with a recent onset of Peyronie’s disease symptoms who do not have a palpable scar may develop Peyronie’s plaque with time and become candidates for penile plaque injections.
Penile Injections for Peyronie’s Disease Have a Good Safety Record.
Injection of medication in the penile plaque is typically less invasive than surgery and has few side effects. It is the preferred first treatment option for men with Peyronie’s disease with a palpable ‘cord’ or plaque’. To be good candidates for plaque injections, men should have good erections with or without medications such as Cialis and Viagra. Patients with severe ‘hourglass’ appearance are better candidates for other treatment options. Penile injection therapy for Peyronie’s disease does not have a dramatic effect on the hourglass appearance.
What Medications are Used for Injections directly into Penile Plaque?
How Effective are Penile Injections?
There are three different medications available to be used for intra-lesional injections for men with Peyronie’s disease. While no study has compared them to each other, it appears that they have similar efficacy. These medications tend to work for about 30-40% of men. If one medication does not work, it is possible to try a different medication. Typically, at New York Urology Specialists, we advise that men use penile traction therapy in combination with penile injection therapy.
It is rare for medications to produce a perfectly straight penis. Typically injectable medications lead to improvement but not complete resolution of curvature. The success of treatment depends on plaque size, the severity of penile curvature and a number of other factors.
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease?
- All treatment is performed by a board-certified urologist experienced in treating men with symptoms of Peyronie’s disease including penile curvature, narrowing of the penis, shortening of the penis, pain in the penis, and ED.
- We are one of the few practices in the region to offer a full range of options for treatment of Peyronie’s disease, sexual and erection problems in men.
- We offer diagnostic testing in our office which avoids hospital costs.
- Extensive Experience: Thousands of men have treated successfully using medical therapy (Xiaflex, Verapamil injections, Interferon), shockwave therapy for penile pain, penile plication, plaque excision and grafting, and penile implant surgery.
- Confidential and Understanding Care. We understand that most of our patients desire privacy. We see patients with a variety of urological problems. Your reason for visiting us is entirely confidential.
Scheduling Appointments for Peyronie’s Treatment at New York Urology Specialists
We have excellent reviews from patients and their partners.
Peyronies Disease and ED Are Treatable in Nearly Every Man
At New York Urology Specialists, our urologists are specially trained in the evaluation and treatment of Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction. We understand the challenges that Peyronie’s disease and ED create for our patients, their relationships and their self-esteem. We help you find a treatment for Peyronie’s disease that fits your needs, your lifestyle and your preferences.
Urologists are doctors specializing in the treatment of men with sexual problems including Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction. By the virtue of our experience and skill, we are able to offer an effective treatment option for nearly every man who desires an effective treatment for ED. We offer medical and surgical treatment for Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction.
We Treat Some of the Most Complex ED Problems Including:
- Hourglass narrowing of the penis
- Shortening of the penis and loss of penile length
- Penis curvature with worsening erections
- Peyronies disease in men with diabetes and weak erections in men with diabetes.
- Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction in men with prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy
- Erectile dysfunction in men with Peyronie’s disease
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship-trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of sexual and erection problems in men using modern effective and proven treatment methods. We offer inflatable penile implant, shockwave therapy for ED and treatment for Peyronie’s disease.
He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.