Interferon alpha-2B is an Effective Treatment Option for Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease Regardless of Plaque Location
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is one of the most experienced Peyronie’s specialists in NYC.
Interferon Intraplaque Injections for Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease in New York City
Interferon is a natural molecule that occurs in the body. It’s very important in modulating the immune system. It has been shown to have a significant benefit in the treatment of Peyronie’s in multiple studies.
One of the advantages of Interferon injections is its safety profile. Interferon can be used on any palpable plaque regardless of location.
Interferon can be used safely for ventral curvature (typically caused by a plaque located close to the urethra) of the penis as well as for dorsal curvature.
How Effective is Interferon?
Interferon-a2B has been shown to have a good effect in the treatment of men with Peyronie’s disease in randomized controlled studies. On average, men experience about 9% improvement;
- overall 69% of men experience at least some improvement in curvature
- 54% of men experience at least a 20% improvement in curvature.
Research evidence shows that alpha interferon is effective in mild to moderate cases of Peyronie’s with curvature up to 70 degrees. The side effects of the injection of interferon are uncommon and may present with flu-like symptoms in some people. Other less common side effects include hematoma, swelling, edema.
What are the Benefits of Interferon Injections into Peyronie’s Plaque:
Studies show that men experience the following benefits from Interferon injection into Penile Plaque:
- Resolution or improvement in pain symptoms
- Improvement in penile curvature.
How is Interferon Administered?
The procedure is performed in the office under local anesthesia using penile block, usually bupivacaine or lidocaine. After administration of local anesthetic, intralesional injections of interferon are nearly painless. Local anesthesia also provides pain relief after injection. A compressive dressing wrap is placed on the penis for 12 hours.
The treatment schedule involves up to 12 biweekly injections.
How Does Interferon Work in Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease?
Studies show that interferon decreases collagen production by fibroblast and stimulates collagenase activity (scar remodeling – essentially simulating the effect of Xiaflex).
What is the Treatment Course with Interferon?
- Treatment is administered via direct injection into Peyronie’s plaque every 2 weeks.
- 2 million U of interferon-a2b injected every 2 weeks for 6 to 12 treatments.
- About 50% of men respond to therapy.
- Absolute change of 9 degrees, a relative reduction of 20% from 44 degrees from 42 degrees to around 30 degrees.
- Treatment is effective for dorsal and ventral curvature.
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease?
- All treatment is performed by a board-certified urologist experienced in treating men with symptoms of Peyronie’s disease including penile curvature, narrowing of the penis, shortening of the penis, pain in the penis, and ED.
- We are one of the few practices in the region to offer a full range of options for treatment of Peyronie’s disease, sexual and erection problems in men.
- We offer diagnostic testing in our office which avoids hospital costs.
- Extensive Experience: Thousands of men have treated successfully using medical therapy (Xiaflex, Verapamil injections, Interferon), shockwave therapy for penile pain, penile plication, plaque excision and grafting, and penile implant surgery.
- Confidential and Understanding Care. We understand that most of our patients desire privacy. We see patients with a variety of urological problems. Your reason for visiting us is entirely confidential.
Scheduling Appointments for Peyronie’s Treatment at New York Urology Specialists
We have excellent reviews from patients and their partners.
Peyronies Disease and ED Are Treatable in Nearly Every Man
At New York Urology Specialists, our urologists are specially trained in the evaluation and treatment of Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction. We understand the challenges that Peyronie’s disease and ED create for our patients, their relationships and their self-esteem. We help you find a treatment for Peyronie’s disease that fits your needs, your lifestyle and your preferences.
Urologists are doctors specializing in the treatment of men with sexual problems including Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction. By the virtue of our experience and skill, we are able to offer an effective treatment option for nearly every man who desires an effective treatment for ED. We offer medical and surgical treatment for Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction.
We Treat Some of the Most Complex ED Problems Including:
- Hourglass narrowing of the penis
- Shortening of the penis and loss of penile length
- Penis curvature with worsening erections
- Peyronies disease in men with diabetes and weak erections in men with diabetes.
- Peyronie’s disease and erectile dysfunction in men with prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy
- Erectile dysfunction in men with Peyronie’s disease
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship-trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of sexual and erection problems in men using modern effective and proven treatment methods. We offer inflatable penile implant, shockwave therapy for ED and treatment for Peyronie’s disease.
He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.