Top Specialist for Men with Retention of Urine Who Cannot Urinate in New York City
We offer affordable appointment prices with or without insurance. We speak Spanish and Russian languages.
Top Urinary Retention Specialist for Men in New York City
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is an experienced board-certified urologist with extensive experience treating men with urinary retention. He has successfully treated thousands of men with urinary problems including urinary retention and incomplete bladder emptying.
New York Urology Specialists offices are designed to treat men with urinary retention. We have fully equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic testing equipment designed to determine the cause of urinary retention in men and to determine the most appropriate treatment options.
We offer individualized care by a top specialist when it comes to the treatment of urinary problems in men.
Initial Evaluation of Men with Difficulty Urinating or Who are Unable to Urinate
While it may seem obvious that men who are unable to urinate have a full bladder, the causes of inability to urinate may be related to the full bladder but can also be caused by acute renal failure causing lack of urine production and an empty bladder.
Bladder and prostate ultrasound can quickly and painlessly determine whether the urinary bladder is full or empty as well as evaluate the size and anatomy of the prostate which is one of the most common causes of urinary retention in men.
For men whose bladder is full and who are in urinary retention, the next step is to empty the bladder which provides significant and quick relief of symptoms. We are able to empty the bladder right in our office. We are also able to teach patients clean intermittent catheterization to empty their bladder at home until the cause of urinary retention is established and definitive treatment is performed.
We treat men who have slow urine stream or urine retention caused by an enlarged median lobe of the prostate, lateral lobes of the prostate, urethral stricture, prostate cancer as well as neurogenic bladder and bladder stones.
What are the Risks of Urinary Retention?
Urinary retention exposes men to a number of risks and requires prompt evaluation.
Risk of urinary retention include:
- Damage to kidneys (renal failure)
- UTI (urinary tract infection)
- Bladder rupture
- Bladder Stone formation
- Urinary bleeding
- Pelvic, perineal and abdominal pain and discomfort
- Pain in penis
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Treatment of Urinary Retention in Men?
- All treatment for urine retention in men is performed by a Board-certified urologist experienced in treating men with symptoms of incomplete bladder emptying, inability to pass urine, incomplete bladder emptying, and urinary retention.
- We offer a full range of options for treatment of urine retention and slow urine stream
- We offer prostate treatment options under local anesthesia which avoids the risks, costs, and recovery from general anesthesia. Most men are able to return to office work and other normal activities the next day.
- Extensive Experience: Hundreds of men with urinary retention caused by swollen prostate, prostate cancer, BPH, bladder cancer, urethral stricture and bladder stones have been treated by our specialists.
- We treat men with BPH who have heart problems (hypertension, CAD, CHF), renal failure (ESRD) on hemodialysis, men on blood thinners such as aspirin, Lovenox, Coumadin (Warfarin), apixaban, rivaroxaban (Xarelto).
When it comes to experience and innovation – New York Urology Specialists are a step ahead. Better Science Means Better Care. We specialize in minimally invasive highly effective treatment for symptoms of enlarged prostate and BPH. Many treatment procedures are performed in the convenience and privacy of office settings under local anesthesia.
Medicare and major insurances accepted. We offer affordable rates and financing options.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of urinary problems in men. He treats men with slow urine stream, incomplete bladder emptying, urine retention and incontinence. He uses modern effective and proven treatment methods including prostate enucleation and Urolift for BPH. He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area.
He has successfully performed hundreds of prostate procedures in adults. Urolift procedures are performed in the office under local anesthesia, in a surgical center and affiliated hospitals under anesthesia.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend, and evening office hours.