Urolift Pros and Cons: New York Urology Specialists Experience
We offer affordable appointment prices with or without insurance. We speak Spanish and Russian languages.
What are the Pros and Cons of Urolift Surgery for Enlarged Prostate?
One of the major advantages of the Urolift procedure is that it does not preclude other treatment options such as Greenlight laser, laser enucleation of prostate, Rezum procedure of the prostate or TURP.
Urolift vs Medications
Urolift can often replace medications with similar or better efficacy. Urolift wins on convenience as it’s a one-time procedure.
For some men, Urolift does not work sufficiently well to replace medications. Many men may derive greater benefit from using medications in addition to Urolift and experience better flow and fewer urinary symptoms.
Urolift vs TUPR, Greenlight Laser or Prostate Enucleation
When it comes to comparing Urolift vs TURP, the pros of the Urolift procedure include fast recovery, no sexual side effects (no effect on ejaculation), and the ability to perform it in the office under local anesthesia.
The cons of Urolift compared to TURP is that improvement in symptoms is typically not as good as it is with TURP, in particular for men with larger prostates.
There is a fundamental trade-off between minimally invasive treatment such as Urolift and surgery such as TURP or laser ablation of the prostate. A minimally invasive procedure such as Urolift offers a quick benefit with minimal risks, few side effects, and fast recovery but is less effective than surgical procedures such as TURP, Greenlight Laser, HoLAP, prostate enucleation or vaporization of the prostate.
Men who desire maximum benefit and who do not mind side effects of surgery such as lack of ejaculation, would be well served with laser prostate enucleation or laser ablation of prostate; those who want to minimize side effects and recovery time but are willing to accept smaller improvement in symptoms will do well with Urolift.
If Urolift Procedure Does Not Work, Does it Need to be Removed?
Because the Urolift implant is very small and does not seem to cause any problems, it does not need to be removed if the Urolift procedure did not work. It can be removed if other procedures are performed for the treatment of enlarged prostate as part of the procedure (Greenlight Laser, TURP, etc).
Summary: Pros and Benefits of Urolift:
- Can be performed in the office under local anesthesia; no need for general anesthesia
- No risk of sexual side effects; no risk of not ejaculating
- Fast recovery – most patients have full resolution of side effects within 2 weeks
- Moderate improvement in symptoms that allows many men to stop medications; improvement in symptoms in combination with medication for many men.
Summary: Cons of Urolift
The expected improvement in symptoms is not as great as can be achieved with surgical procedures such as laser enucleation of the prostate, Greenlight, Holmium laser ablation of the prostate, TURP or open prostatectomy.
Where to Get Urolift Procedure in NYC?
At New York Urology Specialists, we offer same-day treatment for men.
We perform a cystoscopy, urodynamic testing, prostate, and bladder ultrasound in our office. We offer Urolift procedure, Rezum water-vapor procedure in our office and laser enucleation of the prostate in a hospital setting. We treat urinary and erection problems. We offer confidential appointments. We offer affordable appointment prices with or without insurance.
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Treatment of Enlarged Prostate Problems?
- All treatment is performed by a board-certified urologist experienced in treating men with symptoms of frequent urination, urinary urgency, urinary incontinence and bladder pain using medical therapy, minimally invasive therapies, lasers, and open surgery.
- We are one of the few practices in the region to offer a full range of options for treatment of urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate in men
- We offer treatment options for enlarged prostate, overactive bladder, UTI and urinary incontinence in our office which avoids the risks, costs, and recovery from general anesthesia.
- Extensive experience: Thousands of men have treated successfully using medical therapy, surgery, and minimally invasive procedures such as Urolift procedure, Rezum surgery, Botox for overactive bladder, Interstim for frequent urination and tibial neuromodulation.
- We offer diagnostic testing in our office which avoids hospital costs.
- Confidential and Understanding Care. We understand that most of our patients desire privacy. We see patients with a variety of urological problems. Your reason for visiting us is entirely confidential.
- We are conveniently located within 30-60 minute commute to men who are seeking ED treatment in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Westchester, Long Island, Bronx, and New Jersey.
Scheduling Appointments for Enlarged Prostate Treatment at New York Urology Specialists
We offer affordable appointment prices with or without insurance. We offer weekday, weekend, and evening office hours.
Urinary Problems Are Treatable in Nearly Every Man and Woman
At New York Urology Specialists, our urologists are specially trained in the evaluation and treatment of urinary problems caused by enlarged prostate and BPH in men. We understand the challenges that urinary problems such as a slow stream, waking up at night, pain in the penis and perineum create for our patients, their relationships and their self-esteem. We help you find a treatment for your urinary problems that fit your needs, lifestyle, and your preferences.
Urologists are doctors specializing in the treatment of men with symptoms caused by prostate enlargement including frequent urination, poor urine flow, frequent UTI, blood in urine, urinary incontinence, urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate, prior surgery, neuropathy, chemotherapy, and radiation. By the virtue of our experience and skill, we are able to offer an effective treatment option for nearly every man and woman who desire an effective treatment for their urinary problems. We offer medical and surgical treatment for men’s prostate problems.
We specialize in minimally invasive highly effective treatment for symptoms of bladder pain, urethral burning, pelvic discomfort, incomplete bladder emptying, urinary frequency, and urgency.
We Treat Some of the Most Complex Men’s Health Problems Including:
- Erectile dysfunction in men for whom Viagra and Cialis do not work.
- Penile Pain During Sex
- Impotence in men with diabetes.
- Burning during urination
- Premature Ejaculation
- Frequent urination
- Urinary retention
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship-trained board-certified urologist with expertise in the evaluation and treatment of urinary problems in men using modern effective and proven treatment methods including Botox for OAB, Interstim neuromodulation, Rezum for BPH, prostate enucleation for enlarged prostate, and Urolift procedure.
He has successfully treated hundreds of men with BPH with symptoms of frequent urination during the day and excessive urination at night.
He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area. If you or someone you know has been experiencing urological symptoms, make an appointment to take advantage of Dr. Shteynshlyuger’s expert advice. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
We offer affordable appointment prices with or without insurance.