Why do Men Experience the Symptoms of BPH?
We offer affordable appointment prices with or without insurance. We speak Spanish and Russian languages.
The prostate is wrapped around the urethra. You can think of prostate as the bun and urethra being a Nathan’s Hot Dog. As the prostate grows, it tends to constrict or squeeze the urethra from outside and obstruct the urine flow. It is not surprising that the symptoms of BPH or prostate enlargement are typically related to urination.
It is important to note that prostate cancer can cause prostate enlargement and similar symptoms. That is one of the reasons we do a prostate exam to check for any suspicious abnormalities. In addition, a blood test called PSA is performed to check for prostate cancer risk.
It is important to have a thorough urological evaluation if you experience the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
I mentioned that symptoms of BPH are usually related to urination. The next question that we need to answer today is:
“What are the symptoms of BPH?”
- Waking Up to Urinate at Night – Typically a man experiences increased need to wake up at night to urinate, often twice or 3 times a night whereas before he did not need to wake up at all.
- Poor urine flow – The urine stream may be slower than it was previously.
- Frequent urination – Men may also need to run to the bathroom to urinate more often during the day.
- Bladder Infections – Some men may also develop a bladder infection or UTI because the bladder does not empty completely.
- Urinary leakage or bladder control problems. Urinary incontinence or involuntary leakage of urine can occur in men with an enlarged prostate when they cannot get to the bathroom in time or when the bladder over-reacts.
- Blood in the urine. In some men, the symptoms of enlarged prostate or BPH may include bloody urine.
- Bladder Stones can form when the bladder does not empty well
Painful urination can occur as a result. It is important to know that other diseases can cause symptoms similar to the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
Learn more about treatment for enlarged prostate and BPH.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend, and evening office hours.