Patient Selection for Urolift Procedure
Advantages of Urolift Procedure
One of the most attractive features of the Urolift System for treating enlarged prostate is that both younger and healthy men, as well as very old and very sick men, can be treated with similar good results.
It is important to recognize that success of the Urolift procedure depends on patient selection for this procedure, in other words, the procedure is more likely to work if it is offered to the ‘right’ patient.
Who is a good candidate for Urolift:
- Men with mild to moderate symptoms of BPH for whom medications do not work
- Men with mild to moderate symptoms of BPH who do not wish to take daily medications
- Men with moderate or severe symptoms of BPH who are too ill to undergo other treatments
- Men with symptoms of BPH caused by lateral lobes of the prostate with mild or no median lobe enlargement.
- Men with normal renal function.
- Men with mild to moderate post-void residual < 200 ml
This is not an exclusive list. Based on studies and experience we know that Urolift works well for men with symptoms and characteristics listed above. Urolift may be beneficial to some men with a variety of other symptoms and characteristics but its use has not been well studied in situations such as urinary retention or high post-void residual or in a situation where men have prostate cancer affecting their urination.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.
Dr. Shteynshlyuger is a board-certified urologist and specialist in the treatment of enlarged prostate and complex urinary problems using minimally invasive approaches. He is one of the first urologists in the US and NYC to offer Urolift as a treatment for enlarged prostate. Urolift procedure can be performed in his office in New York City.