ButterFly for BPH – In-Office Treatment for Enlarged Prostate in Men
by Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger, a board-certified urologist and specialist in the treatment of enlarged prostate, BPH and urinary retention. He is one of the first urologists in the US and NYC to offer Urolift and prostate enucleation, an alternative to traditional TURP as a treatment for enlarged prostate.
What is Butterfly Procedure for BPH?
Butterfly implant is a treatment option for enlarged prostate. The procedure is minimally invasive and can be performed in the office under local anesthesia.
Butterfly for BPH is a spring-like device that is placed in the prostate to pull the prostate apart and to open up the urethra so that the urine flow is better
How Effective is Butterfly for Treatment of Enlarged Prostate?
While large studies of Butterfly stent for enlarged prostate are not available, based on the mechanism of action, it is expected that Butterfly implant would provide similar benefit to i-Tind for BPH, Urolift implant and Rezum procedure for BPH
How Can I Get Treated with Butterfly Device?
Butterfly device is not currently FDA approved in the United States and not currently available for treatment of patients to the United States. We expect that treatment with butterfly implant for BPH may be available in the United States within a few years, likely in 2023.
What are the Risks and Side Effects of Butterfly Treatment for BPH?
As with any treatment for enlarged prostate, treatment with the Butterfly is associated with a small risk of UTI, blood in urine, urinary retention and urethral stricture. Currently, there are no long-term studies available to determine whether there are any other risks of Butterfly implant treatment for enlarged prostate.
What Are My Options If I Have Symptoms Of Enlarged Prostate?
For patients with symptoms of enlarged prostate, other effective treatment options available. These include Urolift procedure, resume procedure, Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP), HoLAP and bipolar TURP.
Why Choose New York Urology Specialists for Treatment of Urinary Retention Caused by Enlarged Prostate?
- All treatment is performed by a Board-certified urologist experienced in treating men with symptoms of BPH using medical therapy, minimally invasive therapies, lasers and open surgery.
- We are one of the few practices in the region to offer a full range of options for treatment of BPH.
- We offer BPH treatment options under local anesthesia which avoids the risks, costs, and recovery from general anesthesia. Most men are able to return to office work and other normal activities the next day.
- Extensive Experience: Hundreds of men treated successfully using medical therapy, Urolift, lasers for BPH (Holmium, Thulium, Evolve, Greenlight lasers), Bipolar TURP, traditional TURP, open suprapubic prostatectomy, robotic suprapubic prostatectomy for BPH.
- We treat men with BPH who have heart problems (hypertension, CAD, CHF), renal failure (ESRD) on hemodialysis, men on blood thinners such as aspirin, Lovenox, Coumadin (Warfarin), apixaban, rivaroxaban (Xarelto).
When it comes to experience and innovation – New York Urology Specialists are a step ahead. Better Science Means Better Care. We specialize in minimally invasive highly effective treatment for symptoms of enlarged prostate and BPH. Many treatment procedures are performed in the convenience and privacy of office settings under local anesthesia.
Medicare and major insurances accepted. We offer affordable rates and financing options.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Shteynshlyuger:
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is a fellowship trained board-certified urologist with expertise in evaluation and treatment of urinary problems in men. He uses modern effective and proven treatment methods including prostate enucleation and Urolift for BPH. He is highly recommended by top primary care physicians in the New York area.
He has successfully performed hundreds of prostate procedures in adults. Urolift procedures are performed in the office under local anesthesia, in a surgical center and affiliated hospitals under anesthesia.
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.