Advantages of REZUM Procedure for Enlarged Prostate
We offer affordable, highest-quality urology care with or without insurance. Find out our office hours or directions to our office. We offer weekday, weekend and evening office hours.
REZUM – a New Treatment Option for Men with Enlarged Prostate Caused by BPH
REZUM is a new procedure that offers numerous advantages to many men with BPH symptoms.
- Procedure is quick (<15 minutes)
- REZUM can be performed under local anesthesia (no need for general anesthesia)
- No need for taking daily pills enlarged prostate. Most men are able to stop medications such as Flomax, Rapaflo, finasteride, and Uroxatral.
- No sexual side effects: No erection problems
- Majority of men report no ejaculation problems after REZUM
- Ability to have other procedures for Enlarged prostate if REZUM does not provide sufficient benefit. No ‘treatment’ bridges are cut even though prostatic tissue is partially destroyed by REZUM.
How Long do the Benefits of Rezum Last?
For most men, if Rezum improves their urinary function, the benefit tends to be stable for at least 3 years. If symptoms worsen, retreatment with Rezum, Urolift for BPH procedure or laser enucleation of the prostate can be considered.
Which You Need to Know About REZUM Procedure
The REZUM procedure can be helpful to many men who experienced symptoms of the enlarged prostate such as slow urine stream, frequent urination and urge to pee. While the advantages of REZUM procedure listed above a clear-cut, it is important to understand that it may take 1-2 months for men to experience benefits from REZUM for BPH procedure.
Many men are impatient, which is understandable, and worry that their symptoms have not improved 3, 5 and 15 days after the procedure. This is not unexpected. I advised my patients to be patient and let the procedure do its work. Typically, 1-2 months after the procedure most men experience sufficient benefit. Maximal benefit is achieved about 3 months after the procedure.
Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger is an experienced urologist who has treated hundreds of men with enlarged prostate. He is one of the few urologists who offers a full range of treatment options for BPH including REZUM procedure, Urolift for BPH, and laser prostate enucleation.